About Me >>>>>Faith >>>>> The Kid >>>>> The Dude >>>>>Parties >>>>> Fashion >>>>> Food>>>>>Decorating>>>>>Contact Me

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Strawberry Preserves

After July 4th we had a RIDICULOUS amount of strawberries left over, so I had the brilliant idea to make strawberry preserves. Have I ever canned anything in my life? No. Have I always had aspirations to be Ma from Little House on the Prairie, canning and pickling her way through the wilds of the American frontier? Yes (minus the whole Oregon Trail video game afflictions of typhoid and yellow fever and "the ague").

Here are the innocent strawberries, looking all healthy and whatnot.


Here are the strawberries after a ridiculous amount of sugar (I won't tell you exactly how much I used, but it was somewhere between 6 and 8 cups and the number rhymes with "heaven").


Help us, we're drowning...in sugar...

Through the magic of osmosis, you get this...

My first ever attempt at sterilizing mason jars...


The finished product...

This is the perfect activity for anyone who actually enjoyed chemistry lab in high school. Also, if you read in 6 months that I died from botulism, this is why (not the rogue Botox that I got in the back alley near my office). Just in case.

ETA: It tastes good. Like "When Harry Met Sally" diner table scene good.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

LOL, this post was full of win. Rhymes with heaven... drowning in sugar, osmosis.... but how did it taste? I have only ever canned salsa... I hope i have enough tomatoes this year to can a few batches.

Unknown said...

oh it pains me that we couldn't have done this together! I grew up with a mom who canned all summer long. I'll just expect this jam with the scones you make when we come visit:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...