About Me >>>>>Faith >>>>> The Kid >>>>> The Dude >>>>>Parties >>>>> Fashion >>>>> Food>>>>>Decorating>>>>>Contact Me

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Smoothies (or how I make myself feel less guilty about less than stellar food choices)

Most of the time, I try to eat well but I've got to admit, since moving to our new place, I have gotten super lazy about cooking. I was talking with a friend recently about menu planning and I mentioned that I rarely do menus. Ever. We have a deep freezer for meats, seafood and veggies and usually just cook as the mood strikes us. Sort of along the lines of, "What do you want to eat tonight?". "I dunno, you?". Uhhhh, pasta?". You get the idea.

I used to post regularly about recipes but life recently sort of got me out of my cooking groove. Packing, pregnancy, moving, unpacking, miscarriage, work, travel and general busy-ness sort of made us fall back on eating out as our default. When you are living out of boxes, the last thing you often want to do is to cook.  And then it becomes a habit. And not a good habit.

I am hoping to publicly shame myself into eating/cooking more from home by doing this post, but I am going to admit that this is barely cooking. But I did take advantage of the fresh and super sweet berries that are in season now.

I usually do these at least 3-4 mornings a week and it is a great way for me to get my necessary fruit and calcium in my busy day.

Ingredients: Strawberries, banana, blackberries, Greek yogurt, skim milk, ice.
Other favorite ingredients: raspberries, blueberries, pineapple, mango and spinach or lettuce (you can barely taste it, but spinach will add a lot of iron!)
Directions: Blend until smooth.


We put all of the ingredients in the Magic Bullet (totally need an Aussie accent) and in 1-2-3... you have a smoothie to start the day. We reuse the plastic Panera and Starbucks cups and each of us has a serving.

I just have to work on the Kid's reaction to the mini blender.


Do you have any shortcuts that you use in the morning to get yourself off to a healthy start?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...