About Me >>>>>Faith >>>>> The Kid >>>>> The Dude >>>>>Parties >>>>> Fashion >>>>> Food>>>>>Decorating>>>>>Contact Me

Monday, February 21, 2011

Where Fashion Meets Furniture

I love the fact that moving into a new home means that I get to do a little bit of furniture shopping in the next few months. While we are trying not to kill each other with packing tape and Sharpies, here is my philosophy on furniture (with some fashion mixed in).

 From the Kohler website

1. Spend money on the pieces that are the foundation.
With clothes, for me this would refer to spending money on bigger ticket items that you want to last for a while, like boots, coats and handbags. I am not saying you need to break the bank, but you get what you pay for. I would rather have a pair of great boots that need to get re-soled every few years than cheap out and have them be in the trash after a season.

In the same way, I want to get my money's worth out of investment pieces of furniture. Those pieces for me are the ones that bear the brunt of abuse in our house: sofas, dining room tables, mattresses and dressers. We tend to be pretty hard on our furniture and I want to make sure it will last for at least ten years before needing to be replaced.

2. Mix high, medium and low.
I love wearing things from Forever 21 with my J. Crew and YSL accessories. In the same way don't be afraid to use that IKEA table from your first post-college apartment with an antique rug and a custom reupholstered chair from the thrift store. It keeps things from being too precious or looking too "post-grad chic". For example, I have my eye on a pedestal table from Costco that I want to use with Chinese Chippendale chairs.

3. Old is good.
I collect vintage purses and accessories because (besides having a story behind them), things were just made better "back in the day". I love to scour my local Habitat ReStore and the local Goodwill to find items like vintage suitcases and tables to act as accessories. Often the only thing they need is a good cleaning or a fresh coat of paint and you are ready.

4. When in doubt re-vamp.
I have a great relationship with my tailor (okay, the older gentleman at the dry cleaners) because he often hems jeans, fixes waistbands and generally nips and tucks my wardrobe into shape. In the same way, I am hoping to find a good upholstery shop and a carpenter in Nashville who can help us customize things along the way.

5. Reflect your personal style.
I consider most of my wardrobe to be comfortable, classic prep with a tiny touch of punk and glam. I also love bolder prints and occasional pops of color. This completely reflects the vibe that I want to go for in our house. I haven't the slightest idea what that will look like yet, but I look forward to sharing it with you all.

What about you? Does your taste in clothes influence the way your home looks?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...