About Me >>>>>Faith >>>>> The Kid >>>>> The Dude >>>>>Parties >>>>> Fashion >>>>> Food>>>>>Decorating>>>>>Contact Me

Monday, January 4, 2010

My Resolutions (sort of)

I am not one for resolutions because they are inevitably broken by Valentine's Day.  I firmly have come to realize that I have a lot of energy and interest at the beginning of doing something new, but once I get bored...game over.  Hence my passing knowledge of knitting, photography, golf (I know, right?), speaking Italian and how to drive a stick shift.  I do have a couple of keepers from last year that I will do more of in 2010.

1.  Eat more good food: Some resolution, huh? If you have followed me at all, you know that I LOVE food and I love trying new recipes/techniques.  The main challenge here is to eat more GOOD food (and more foods that actually exist in nature - not my daughter's tater tots) and not just the junk that I often find convenient for lunch or snacks. 

2. Recycle: This applies to many aspects of life, but I am thinking mostly in terms of clothes and home.  I have a tendency to just buy more, but I am committing to shopping my closet more and pulling out some older items and mixing them with stuff I have gotten more recently.  Also, I am hoping to use eBay, Craigslist and antique/thrift stores to do some furnishing (in addition to my regular favorites) once we move (we are aiming for around April-ish or May).  Oh yeah - we need to find a house we like first.

3.  Entertain more: We have a tiny house we are renting right now, but it hasn't stopped us from having multiple dinner parties and get-togethers at our home.  I am excited to be hosting a fundraising dinner party (theme = A Passage to India) for a friend from college in a few weeks.   I love having people over and using them as guinea pigs for my Martha Stewart, type A inclinations.

4.  Plan for the future: MrDrama and I have discussed finances more in 2009 than any other year (probably like most other families). We were both extremely fortunate to get better paying jobs last year and get rid of debt.  God willing, 2010 will be a year of planning more intensively for retirement (we are such nerds) and investment.

5. Buy quality: This sort of relates to #2.  I don't mind cheaping out on things like accessories, but I have learned the hard way that buying one pair a great shoes is a far smarter decision that two or three pairs of okay shoes.  I am feeling the same way about homes and furniture recently (especially since I have been fake-furnishing my home online at Ethan Allen, but I digress).  The old saying is true - you get what you pay for.  Have you ever used the cheap toilet paper? I rest my case.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...