About Me >>>>>Faith >>>>> The Kid >>>>> The Dude >>>>>Parties >>>>> Fashion >>>>> Food>>>>>Decorating>>>>>Contact Me

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Emerging from the Newborn Fog...

With all that has been going on with us, we have gotten the inevitable question of, "how are you guys doing?" from what feels like EVERYONE. I can very honestly say that we are doing okay. We have moved into what seems like a new normal for us. Thankfully, this time period is relatively symptom free for the Dude and we are just like any other newborn parents dealing with sleep issues and feelings and breast pump parts and diaper blowouts (glamorous, huh?). The main difference is the daily medications and extra doctor visits. Hopefully, if that is the worst thing we ever deal with in the bundle of joy's life, we will count ourselves very lucky.




He is gaining weight like it is going out of style and at almost 8 weeks is close to double his birth weight. Apparently, I produce the lactation equivalent of jet fuel. He is a champion sleeper already. I never really quite believed people when they said their newborns slept through the night and secretly cursed those smug parents under my breath. Now I will revel in being a smug parent wholeheartedly because having a baby that sleeps for more than a 90 minute stretch (I'm looking at you, oldest child) is a bit of a miracle to me.

We've already gone through the 3 and 6 week growth spurts and cluster feedings at nighttime, so hopefully we are hitting a stretch of relative normalcy. Whatever that means with a new baby. Either he is a more laid back baby or I am a more laid back mom the second time around (probably a combination of both). Whichever it is, I am enjoying this maternity leave immensely. Probably a little too much, to be honest.

Speaking of work, my plan is to go down to part time (which for me is 3 days a week + weekends) and to play it by ear thereafter. It remains to be seen how my work will shake out with our current situation with the Dude's health, but family trumps almost everything. That is about as much of my hand as I am going to share, so "neener, neener, neener!" Doors have been opened regarding financial provision, for which we are immensely grateful. I went through a heck of a lot of training to just stop. But family > work at this point in the game.

Lastly, I have A.MAZ.ING. friends. Seriously, you guys rock. You know exactly who you are, from the texts, to emails and phone calls and cards to coffee dates and dinners and hugs and blog comments. I am humbled.

Nothing but love.

Kumbaya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...