About Me >>>>>Faith >>>>> The Kid >>>>> The Dude >>>>>Parties >>>>> Fashion >>>>> Food>>>>>Decorating>>>>>Contact Me

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Breaking Fashion Rules: Mixing Black and Brown

I was talking with some friends yesterday about selecting a pair of boots. I have gotten this question recently about what color to go with. Brown or black? People tend to want to go with a black boot because we think, "black goes with everything!". Well, so can brown! My current faves are a brown pair that I could seriously wear every day this fall. I bought them 2 years ago when the skinny jean/flat boot trend first started. It was an  investment worth every penny. Here is why.

#1: Black leather boots can sometimes look more "cheap" or synthetic than the same boot in brown leather. The black color forgives a multitude of sins (which is why a black dress in a cheaper fabric can still look great) but often doesn't get the great patina that brown leather gets.

#2: You can wear brown and black together. Case in point:

 Target Earrings and turtleneck
J.Crew Belt
DSW Boots

I would do the same with a black dress, black tights and brown boots or a black tunic over leggings with brown boots.

I could easily pair the same outfit with a dress or jeans.



#3: Brown leather boots are simply awesome. Not a real reason, but I had to throw it out there.

In general a pair of leather boots will start at about $100, depending on the sales. Some of my favorite more affordable options are here, here and here.

What about you? What do you think of combining brown and black?





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...