About Me >>>>>Faith >>>>> The Kid >>>>> The Dude >>>>>Parties >>>>> Fashion >>>>> Food>>>>>Decorating>>>>>Contact Me

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Zucchini & Squash Casserole

Zucchini and squash have never been among my favorite things to eat unless they are in pasta primavera or grilled. I generally am not a fan of zucchini bread, so that is usually out for me.  But give me a nice cheesy casserole with a crumb topping and I am so there.

 
Squash Casserole
(adapted from the menu of the Blue Ridge Grill in Atlanta, Georgia)
    1/4 cup olive oil 1 large yellow onion, sliced 4 large yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise and sliced in 1/4-inch pieces 2 large zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced in 1/4-inch pieces 2 cups heavy cream 12 ounces grated cheddar cheese 4 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs) 1/2 tablespoon salt 1/4 teaspoon white pepper 1 sleeve buttered crackers, crushed (about 36) 1 cup fried onions (optional)

In a very large skillet or stockpot over medium-high heat, add oil. Saute onion, squash and zucchini for 3 to 5 minutes. Add cream and bring to a simmer. Stir in the cheese, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese melts and mixture is combined. Transfer mixture to the baking dish. Sprinkle crushed crackers on top. Bake at 350 degrees F 25 to 30 minutes. Garnish with fried onions if desired.

*Note: I didn't slice my squash in half lengthwise because they were smaller squash and I used whole milk instead of heavy cream to cutback on the calories and it was still delicious. I also cut back on the crumb topping as well as fried onions.*

Not that I have ever met a fried onion that I didn't like. Give me bunch of onion rings and I'm happy.

Anyone out there with good zucchini recipes?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...