About Me >>>>>Faith >>>>> The Kid >>>>> The Dude >>>>>Parties >>>>> Fashion >>>>> Food>>>>>Decorating>>>>>Contact Me

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Indian Inspired Dinner Party - Part 1


We had some people over a few days ago to our house.  It was a dinner party for friends of ours who will be leaving to live in India later this spring.  Of course, I jumped at the chance to host, especially when a "theme" is handed to me beforehand.  I have a love affair with Indian culture for several reasons.
  • When I was a poor college student doing a study abroad program in London, curries (Indian takeout) were the cheapest thing to eat. Think the British equivalent of Taco Bell.
  • One of my best friends/roommates from undergrad was Gujarati and I learned more about Bollywood movies from her than from anybody on the planet. Seriously, her explanation of the movie plots was usually as long as the movies themselves!
  • My awesome roommate for four years from med school was Indian and I was the LUCKY recipient of many wonderful gifts of food from her relatives. She also taught me how to make a mean chai tea.
  • Indian food was the last meal I ate before going into labor with the Kid.  Spicy curry every time! 
  • Bride and Prejudice, one of my favorite Americanized Bollywood films.
  • Naan.  Yummy... 
Music:

On the menu: 
  • Pita and Roasted Pepper Hummus (I know - Middle Eastern, not Indian - but made from chick peas, a common South Asian ingredient)
  • Butternut squash-apple soup
  • Green Peas
  • Chicken Curry
  • Basmati Rice
  • Chicken Satay with dipping sauces
  • Fruit Sorbets
What I wore:
Usually I am not that cheesy as to match the food - oh wait, yes I am.  Luckily, I don't have any saris lying around, but I did have this.


Tunic: Tory Burch
Tank Top: Gap
Jeans: Banana Republic straight leg
Flip Flops: J.Crew metallic capri sandals

Tune in tomorrow for all the party details!









Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...