We had some people over a few days ago to our house. It was a dinner party for friends of ours who will be leaving to live in India later this spring. Of course, I jumped at the chance to host, especially when a "theme" is handed to me beforehand. I have a love affair with Indian culture for several reasons.
- When I was a poor college student doing a study abroad program in London, curries (Indian takeout) were the cheapest thing to eat. Think the British equivalent of Taco Bell.
- One of my best friends/roommates from undergrad was Gujarati and I learned more about Bollywood movies from her than from anybody on the planet. Seriously, her explanation of the movie plots was usually as long as the movies themselves!
- My awesome roommate for four years from med school was Indian and I was the LUCKY recipient of many wonderful gifts of food from her relatives. She also taught me how to make a mean chai tea.
- Indian food was the last meal I ate before going into labor with the Kid. Spicy curry every time!
- Bride and Prejudice, one of my favorite Americanized Bollywood films.
- Naan. Yummy...
On the menu:
- Pita and Roasted Pepper Hummus (I know - Middle Eastern, not Indian - but made from chick peas, a common South Asian ingredient)
- Butternut squash-apple soup
- Green Peas
- Chicken Curry
- Basmati Rice
- Chicken Satay with dipping sauces
- Fruit Sorbets
What I wore:Usually I am not that cheesy as to match the food - oh wait, yes I am. Luckily, I don't have any saris lying around, but I did have this.
Tunic: Tory Burch
Tank Top: Gap
Jeans: Banana Republic straight leg
Flip Flops: J.Crew metallic capri sandals
Tune in tomorrow for all the party details!