About Me >>>>>Faith >>>>> The Kid >>>>> The Dude >>>>>Parties >>>>> Fashion >>>>> Food>>>>>Decorating>>>>>Contact Me

Sunday, October 4, 2009

How To Be a Foodie - Butternut squash soup (or heavy cream makes everything better)

I have never been a huge fan of butternut squash until I realized that you can turn it into a really awesome soup. That, and the fact that every time I say "butternut" I snicker like a sixth grader in health class. The soup is definitely a seasonal dish and when I was at Whole Foods recently I bought an obscenely overpriced butternut squash with visions of yummy soup dancing in my head. I later learned that Trader Joes sells containers of pre-cut butternut squash and that my local Publix grocery store sells said organic local squash for a third the price of Whole Foods (shaking my fist in the air at them). Lesson learned my friends...


I adapted this recipe from the Martha Stewart Living Cookbook - 10th Anniversary Edition (hasn't failed me yet).

Butternut Squash Soup

2 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (watch your fingers!)
2 medium leeks, cut into 1/2 inch slices (I never have leeks, so I used 1 medium sized white onion)
Grated zest of 1 orange
1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon of curry*
1/4 teaspoon of allspice*
1 1/2 quarts chicken stock (I usually have homemade in the freezer, but I have used canned/box stock with just as good results)
1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream*

*ingredients are my additions and can be omitted, if desired

1. In a large saucepan or Dutch Oven over medium-low heat, cook leeks (or onions) in 2 tablespoons of water until they soften, about 10 minutes. Add the squash, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and curry; cook for 2 minutes. Add 5 cups of chicken stock, salt, pepper; stir to combine and cook until the squash is tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 25 minutes.

2. Working in batches, puree the mixture with an immersion blender (if you have one), food processor (messy) or a blender (my appliance of choice. Return soup to the pot and add cream or stock to get to desired consistency. Add salt/pepper to taste. Serve hot.

Serves 6

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...